Wednesday

Nine

Breakfast and lunch aside, day three on Moon Base has been excellent. We reviewed computer code, and simple crystal replacement, then moved on to the air filtration system. Here’s where things have become very interesting for me. I did not realize how much fabric is used to clear particles, and how complicated the apparatus used to communicate filter quality to the computer! Apparently, the specs we learned are based on Breathe Easy’s own factories, so I can’t go into too many details about them. However, I can say that it starts with algae blooms and moves through a series of meshes that are calibrated through computer programs to filter out harmful particulates in the oxygen.

I suggested that we involve our actual garden in the creation of oxygen – make the best use of space and all that – but the instructor said that we should stick to this system, and perhaps use the garden as a backup for breathable air.

I noticed Durada staring at me when I asked the question, so I smiled at her. She didn’t smile, but she nodded to me. I’m proud of myself for reaching out to a different caste.

We learned how to change and mend filters, too, and our sewing skills finally came into play. Chloe mastered the art, as well as Budur, who has a thorough knowledge of fibercraft. The Ikin stumbled through the exercise and Vivien in particular looked terribly embarrassed, but so it goes sometimes. We can’t be good at everything. I was awful as programming, so I sympathize.

We gathered for dinner after a nearly 13-hour day, and slurped a weakened, metallic-vitamin-flavored green soup before stumbling back to our room. Budur insisted, despite many of our drawn faces, that we give the knitting group a try, and began handing out the softest yarn I think I have ever held.

“I brought this with me,” she said, by way of explanation without explaining anything. I think most of us understood not to ask exactly how she acquired it before we arrived on Moon Base. She also handed out uneven plastic knitting needles.

We all fingered them uneasily, trying to find a way to settle them against our hands without hurting our knuckles. Zariah held one of hers up to a light, and said, “Did you use Base’s printer for these?”

A nervous laugh escaped Budur’s throat. We all looked at her expectantly. “Eh, yes?” she replied.

Zariah nodded. “You’ve never used a CAD program before, huh?”

“No,” Budur admitted. Zariah turned to look at her.

“It’s okay, I just think I could make us all some better ones. I made printers all the time when I was on Bainbridge, so I’m familiar with coding for them and making items.”

Budur’s jaw fell open. I had to bite my cheeks to keep my own more politely closed.

“When did you do these?” Zariah asked.

“Uh …”

“It can take several hours to make 12 pairs, how did you manage this?”

“I … made friends with the printers’ manager,” she replied, and bit her lip. Yuda cackled.

“Did you FLIRT with him?” she demanded. Zariah snorted, the Ikin openly grinned, and I couldn’t stop myself from feeling a pang, bittersweet for the good times before marriage.

Budur smiled at the rest of the group. “It didn’t start that way, I actually just wanted to ask about their policy with using the printers and for how long, but he really took to me and he kept smiling so I thought, if all I do is smile back and laugh at his jokes, then what harm is there? At least I’ve paid to use the printer somehow.”

Zariah pushed the corners of her smile down. “Seriously, though, if we can get back in there, I will show you how to make better ones. In the meantime, if you melt these under the lights and smooth the edges with a rag, you can straighten them a little.”

We all nodded and began work on correcting our needles.

It turns out that it’s true, we do all have important skills to bring to this mission. Some, like Zariah, like Vivien, like Ihsan and Durada, have survived hard times and know how to push through the despair. People like Chloe and I, and maybe even Ghadir, bring curiosity, and I think we could help find the answers to many problems that might otherwise remain unsolved. Haven brings a sense of order for us, which ultimately keeps the entire quest moving toward greater things.

It was very late when we arrived back at our room, and it was much later by the time we finished reworking our needles. We all have decent sets now, I’m glad to say, but I think we might all be a bit sleep-deprived in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment